Sunday, May 12, 2013

Photographers We Love

Introducing Balthazar...

Every once in a while you stumble across someone who just captivates you, whether it be with their prose, their art, or, as with the man of this blog post, their wonderful imagery. Feast your eyes on these!

Copyright of Balthazar 

Copyright of Balthazar 

Copyright of Balthazar 


Pretty delicious, right? 


These three photos have never been shown online before and are from a very special never before seen collection of Balthazar's, forming part of the series used only for his Dirty Photo Subscription project, meaning that we (and you guys) are privileged enough to have been given a sneaky peek into a collection far vaster and dirtier than I dare depict on Tongue Tied! 

We've been a fan of The Imaginary Sailor, Sometimes Photographer's work for a couple of years now and were lucky enough to steal some of his time to find out more about the man and the mind behind the lens. 


Q. Why photography and why the erotic persuasion?


A. Honestly, I always tell people that I got a decent camera about 5 years ago so I could take better dirty photos of my girlfriend (now wife). That was really the extent to my ambitions. She is my muse and I wouldn't be taking photos if I hadn't found her. One thing has led to another since then, but my ambitions are not much different. Women inspire me and that's why I photograph them. I'm curious about people and their inner lives.


Q. Tell me more about the 'Request a letter and a Polaroid  project and what the driver behind its inception was.

A. My first love, long before photography, was writing. It finally dawned on me a few years ago that my ideal medium for writing was the letter. The whole idea of the letter as this intimate communication to an audience of one frees me in a way that I don't find anywhere else. At first I decided I'd just let anyone request a letter from me and then a short while later I started taking Polaroids and then it occurred to me that it was the perfect combination: a letter and a Polaroid. Both are one-of-a-kind, non-reproducible, intimate objects. It's perhaps the only good idea I've ever had. I think the letters and Polaroids are my best work.


Q. I love the rawness of the images you create. Is the shooting of the scenes just as raw or more fabricated than the images lead us to believe?


A. It depends, but in general I'm shooting friends or people I know and while there's some set-up (lights, etc.), the scene itself is usually organic. For example, with the photos of couples I am very much in the background and there is no direction or interference from me. I'm most comfortable trying to find the moments as they happen rather than orchestrating them. 

Q. So, who is Balthazar and what does the future hold?


A. Ask me in 50 years. Until then I'm still exploring both of those things and haven't a clue. Five years ago I wasn't taking photos. This summer my wife and I are moving to Brooklyn and that is bound to bring many changes. Firstly, at last, I'll be near the ocean and I know that's going to bring good things. 


Piqued your curiosity? Whetted your appetite for more erotic imagery? Want more of this sensual filth? Find out more about the Letter Project and the Dirty Photo Subscription over at CallMeBalthazar.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not accept anonymous comments due to issues with spam. If you post a commercial link in your comment we will remove it.