Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Update on Women Write Desire!

Yesterday I was thrilled to receive an email from Stacy Morrison, BlogHer's Editor in Chief and Director, Content Programming and Design, about the fate of the anthology. I asked her if I could share her message, and she agreed. I've edited this slightly to remove references to some personal stories meant for inclusion in the anthology that I don't have the rights to share. I really appreciate that Stacy reached out to me with more information about this project, and she and I had a great exchange about the importance of anonymity (i.e. pseudonym or pen name) to women who publicly write about sex. In another post I'll share my response to Stacy.

Hi Liza! 
Stacy Morrison from BlogHer here. I felt compelled to say hi after your very well-taken point that we could have (and yes, probably should have) just emailed all the contributors to the ebook "Women Write Desire." In fact, I may do just that, because you're right -- it's more polite. And especially because I really want to thank all the women who sent in their amazing stories; there were at least 12 of you!! 
I was heartbroken that this book did not materialize. And I was genuinely surprised! But then again, I've always been outspoken, comfortable, open, experimental, unafraid —whatever that particular combination of traits is that leads to being able to talk about my own sexual desires... I was going to write an anchor essay about the question and complication of "anonymous" as it comes to women talking about their own desires and sexuality. And the stories we did get were amazing. 
But I haven't completely given up. I just tabled it for now, so I could get moving on the other book (which is why the announcement about not going forward with Desires was attached to that post—because I realized I had to make an announcement, when I'd still be treading water, wanting to make the book work).  
I'm thinking and re-thinking the idea of anonymous, and what would be enough information to make a book feel real, and alive. And to that end, I so appreciate your perspective on anonymous. Of course I wanted everyone to use their names -- because we are allowed to have our sexuality, our fantasies, our histories, our desires! And I want to be a part of leading women to really know that this is true. But the names are not the point. The point is, instead, whatever you find hot, whatever makes you feel desired, whatever strikes a match and gets your heat going -- that's what is the point. And I hope I still get the chance to publish a book that shows the wide range of stories that women would tell -- especially if they didn't have to attach their name. 
Learning every day, just like the rest of us!! 
Thanks again for your perspective! 
Stacy Morrison

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not accept anonymous comments due to issues with spam. If you post a commercial link in your comment we will remove it.